Banana Walnut Donuts with Maple Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (may substitute 1:1 gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped California walnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk (or non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 cup toasted, finely chopped walnuts for garnish
- To make donuts, preheat oven to 350°F and coat 10 donut pan cups with nonstick baking spray or coconut oil.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, stir together the dry ingredients. Add the banana, coconut oil and buttermilk and beat on medium speed until well combined into a smooth batter. Fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into a large resealable plastic bag. Snip the corner off of the bag and pipe the batter into the donut cups. Bake for 12 minutes until the donuts are just cooked through. Let cool, then place on a baking rack until completely cool.
- To make the maple glaze, whisk together all glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. (Glaze should be fairly thin, but thick enough to stay on the donut.) Immediately sprinkle with walnuts. Serve right away or store in an airtight container.