Dairy-Free California Walnut Rice Pudding
- 1 cup arborio, short grain or medium grain rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped California walnuts, toasted
- Fresh fruit for garnish
California Walnut Milk
- 2 cups California walnuts, toasted
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
California Walnut Cream
- 2 cups California walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- To prepare pudding, cook rice according to package directions with water and salt.
- While rice is cooking, prepare California Walnut Milk by placing all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- To prepare Walnut Cream, place all ingredients in a small blender or food processor and puree until thick and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Stir Walnut Milk into cooked rice and add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until pudding is thickened and creamy. Stir in lemon zest and 1/4th of the Walnut Cream.
- Serve warm or chilled with dollops of remaining Walnut Cream.