Festive Inspired Trifle
- 135 g pack raspberry jelly
- 300 ml mulled wine
- 100 g Madeira cake sliced
- 50 g custard powder
- 150 g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 600 ml milk
- 100 g California Walnuts
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Sprinkles to decorate
- Cut the jelly into cubes and place in a large jug. Heat the mulled wine to just below boiling and pour over the jelly, stir to dissolve and top up with water to give 500ml.
- Place the cake slices in the base of a 1.2 litre trifle dish and pour over the jelly, chill until set.
- Meanwhile, place the custard powder, 50g sugar and nutmeg in a saucepan and blend in the milk, bring to the boil, stirring continuously until thickened. Chop half the walnuts and add to the custard. Transfer to a bowl, cover the surface with clingfilm and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, place 50g sugar in a small saucepan with 50ml water, bring to the boil then add remaining walnuts, cook for 2 minutes. Place the remaining sugar on a plate. Using 2 forks remove the walnuts from the syrup and toss in the sugar, allow to cool.
- When the jelly is set, spread over the custard. Whisk the cream to soft peaks and spoon over the custard.
- Sprinkle over the sugared walnuts and sprinkles to serve.